Missing College Student Presumed Drowned

Mar 22, 2015 - 0 Comments

The water search for missing college student Max Maisel, son of acclaimed ESPN sportswriter Ivan Maisel, has officially ended, although neither the boy or his remains were ever found. 

Investigators say that’s because the third-year RIT undergrad is now presumed to have drowned after parking at, and disappearing from, the Charlotte Pier on Lake Ontario during a February snowstorm.

That scenic upstate New York location is said to be close to the Maisel family’s vacation property, and a place that their son was always fond of visiting.

Searching for Max Maisel was greatly hindered from the start, since his initial vanishing coincided with a deep freeze in the region which left the great lake coated with impenetrable ice.

In fact, it took almost two weeks before divers could actually enter the frigid water to conduct brief probes around the pier where he was last sighted standing.

University football writer Ivan Maisel hasn’t written any articles since Max disappeared, and indicated from the very moment the youth’s missing person inquiry was launched that he didn’t expect a very happy outcome.

On the same day police finally terminated their underwater efforts to find the body of the missing college student, Mr. Maisel simultaneously released this statement:

“On behalf of Meg and our daughters, I want to thank everyone in the FWAA community who has reached out to us over the last three weeks since our son Max went missing. We presume he drowned on Feb. 22. The care and concern of so many writers and SIDs across the country has helped us cope with the unfathomable. We are having a memorial service and a celebration of Max's life on Friday, March 27 at Congregation Bnai Israel in Bridgeport, CT.”

Although Max Maisel’s vehicle was discovered abandoned at the edge of Lake Ontario, only one person actually saw him in the that area, and there was no break in the ice to indicate that he’d either jumped or fallen in, either.

According to reports, the eyewitness who last saw him alive there on February 22nd not only phoned the police about an unidentified young man matching Max’s description strolling on the pier that day, but revisited the site later in the evening.

This is notable because it’s neither suspicious nor illegal to walk on Lake Ontario’s various piers, or to simply park a car and hang out at its shoreline.


Total views: 1818