Blogs

Ind. bus slaying victim had filed protective order
Thu, 03/21/2013 - 17:16, - 0 Comments

March 21, 2013 Associated Press

FORT WAYNE, Ind.  — A northern Indiana woman who was pulled off of a city bus and fatally shot along a busy street had recently obtained a protective order against her ex-boyfriend — the man police say killed her.

Court documents show that Jacqueline Bouvier Hardy, 49, had filed for a protective order Tuesday against Kenneth Knight, but the Journal Gazette reported (http://bit.ly/15uGtb1 ) it did not appear Knight had been served with a copy.

Police said Hardy was fatally shot by Knight about 8 a.m. Wednesday along a busy street in Fort Wayne. A school official said children waiting at school bus stops were among the witnesses to Hardy's slaying.

Fort Wayne police snipers fatally shot Knight, 45, Wednesday afternoon after he held a 3-year-old boy hostage in a nearby home following Hardy's killing. Knight was not related to the child, who was unharmed in the assault.

Terrorists attack the Tokyo subways - 1995
Wed, 03/20/2013 - 08:41, - 0 Comments

asakahara

Shoko Asahara

by Michael Thomas Barry

On March 20, 1995, at the height of the morning rush hour in Tokyo, Japan, terrorist teams from the Aum Shinrikyo religious cult, riding on separate subway trains, converge at the Kasumigaseki station and secretly release lethal sarin gas into the air. The terrorists then took a sarin antidote and escaped while the commuters, blinded and gasping for air, rushed to the exits. Twelve people died, and 5,500 were treated in hospitals, some in a comatose state.

3 convicted in Minnesota Indian gang trial
Tue, 03/19/2013 - 19:38, - 0 Comments

March 19, 2013 Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS — Three alleged members of a violent American Indian gang known for terrorizing people in the Upper Midwest were convicted Tuesday in what authorities called one of the largest gang cases to come out of Indian Country.

An alleged leader of the Native Mob, 34-year-old Wakinyon Wakan McArthur, was found guilty on several charges including the most serious one he faced, racketeering conspiracy. But he was acquitted on an attempted murder charge that stemmed from the shooting of another man that prosecutors said McArthur ordered.

Two alleged gang "soldiers" — Anthony Francis Cree, 26, and William Earl Morris, 25 — were both convicted of attempted murder in aid of racketeering, in addition to other charges. Morris was the only defendant cleared of racketeering, a charge often used by prosecutors to target mobsters and organized crime.

A sentencing date has not yet been set, but all three men face a maximum of between 20 years and life in prison, according to the U.S. attorney's office. The men were the only defendants who didn't accept plea deals after 25 people were originally charged in a 57-count indictment.

UCF Roommate Details Close Call With a Massacre
Tue, 03/19/2013 - 11:32, - 0 Comments

March 19, 2013 Good Morning America

Arabo Babakhani thought his roommate at University of Central Florida was just a quiet loner until James Oliver Seevakumaran aimed a gun at him Monday in what was intended to be the beginning of a yet another school massacre.

"I just thought he kept to himself a lot and, I don't know, I just thought he was a quiet introverted person. The only time he made solid eye contact with me was when he was pointing the gun at me," Babakhani said.

Babakhani slammed the bathroom door and called 911. The quick response of police derailed Seevakumaran's plans. He shot and killed himself, leaving behind an arsenal that included homemade bombs, and writings that showed how meticulously he planned his attack.

Babakhani's recounted his close call with the university's Knightly News newspaper.

"As he was like raising the gun, he didn't get it all the way up, as he was raising the gun I slammed the door on him before he could pop anything off," Babakhani told the university's Knightly News newspaper.

Babakhani told the 911 dispatcher that his roommate had a gun and was pointing it at him, threatening to shoot, according to the university.

Ohio teen makes obscene gesture, gets life for shooting rampage
Tue, 03/19/2013 - 10:42, - 0 Comments

March 19, 2013 Reuters

CHARDON, Ohio - An Ohio teenager wearing a T-shirt with "killer" scrawled on it gave a profane statement and made an obscene gesture in court as he was sentenced to life in prison without parole on Tuesday for killing three students in a school shooting rampage last year.

T.J. Lane, 18, also wounded three students in the attack in a high school cafeteria in Chardon, a small town east of Cleveland, leaving one paralyzed from the waist down.

Lane's attack in February 2012 was one of several mass shootings in the United States last year, including a massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut December.

Lane sat facing the families of the children he shot and gave a brief profane statement. He then made an obscene gesture directed at the families before Geauga County Judge David Fuhry imposed the sentence.

Lane had pleaded guilty to all of the charges against him on February 26, a day before the one-year anniversary of his attack. He was charged as an adult, but because he was 17 at the time of the rampage he was ineligible for the death penalty.

Fuhry said Lane lacked remorse and examinations showed he had feigned mental illness. A bright student set to graduate from high school early, Lane instead long planned, prepared for, and then executed the attack, he said.

The Hill-Robinson Murders - 1969
Tue, 03/19/2013 - 08:59, - 0 Comments

Hill and robinson

John Robert Hill and Joan Robinson-Hill

by Michael Thomas Barry

On March 19, 1969, Joan Robinson-Hill the daughter of wealthy Texas oilman Ash Robinson dies of an apparent heart attack in Houston, Texas. She and her plastic surgeon husband John Robert Hill had married in 1957. They led separate lives – he was busy with his practice and she was a keen equestrian. However, leading separate lives did not mean that Mrs. Hill wanted her husband to share the beds of other ladies. On December 3, 1968 Dr. Hill filed for divorce but back down when his wife contested the petition. In March 15, 1969 he again instigated divorce proceedings.

Pages