March 23, 2013 CBS News
NEW YORK — The man who spent 23 years in prison before being cleared of the 1990 murder of a rabbi suffered a heart attack on his second day of freedom Friday.
An attorney for David Ranta told The New York Times that the former inmate had a serious heart attack Friday night and was being treated at a local hospital.
A judge vacated the conviction of the 58-year-old on Thursday afternoon after a reinvestigation of his case cast serious doubt on evidence used to convict him in the cold-blooded shooting of the Brooklyn rabbi.
“I’m overwhelmed. I feel like I’m under water, swimming. Like I said from the beginning, I had nothing to do with this case,” Ranta said after leaving state court in Brooklyn.
Ranta was found guilty of murdering Rabbi Chaskel Werzberger, who was shot on Feb. 8, 1990 in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The murder happened on Clymer Avenue as a suspect tried to rob a diamond courier, who escaped unharmed.
Brooklyn prosecutors had recently concluded that Ranta was innocent in the death of Rabbi Chaskel Werzberger, who was killed by a bandit fleeing a botched robbery.
Werzberger was getting into his car when the suspect then grabbed him, shot him in the forehead, jumped in Werzberger’s car and drove away.
Though no physical evidence linked Ranta to the crime, a jury convicted him based on witness testimony and circumstantial evidence. Ranta fit the wanted man’s description of being blond and athletic.
On March 23, 1979, Guillermo Novo and Alvin Ross Diaz are sentenced to life in prison for the murder of Orlando Letelier, former Chilean ambassador to the United States. The murder to place on September 21, 1976, when a car bomb exploded while victims, Orlando Letelier, and his friends Michael and Ronni Moffitt were driving on Washington D.C.'s Embassy Row.
The McMartin Pre-School in Manhattan Beach
On March 22, 1984, seven teachers at the McMartin Preschool in Manhattan Beach, California are indicted on child molestation charges by a Los Angeles County grand jury after hearing testimony from 18 children. Among the charged are Peggy McMartin Buckey, the head of the school and her son Ray Buckey.
March 21, 2013 Associated Press
FORT WAYNE, Ind. — A northern Indiana woman who was pulled off of a city bus and fatally shot along a busy street had recently obtained a protective order against her ex-boyfriend — the man police say killed her.
Court documents show that Jacqueline Bouvier Hardy, 49, had filed for a protective order Tuesday against Kenneth Knight, but the Journal Gazette reported (http://bit.ly/15uGtb1 ) it did not appear Knight had been served with a copy.
Police said Hardy was fatally shot by Knight about 8 a.m. Wednesday along a busy street in Fort Wayne. A school official said children waiting at school bus stops were among the witnesses to Hardy's slaying.
Fort Wayne police snipers fatally shot Knight, 45, Wednesday afternoon after he held a 3-year-old boy hostage in a nearby home following Hardy's killing. Knight was not related to the child, who was unharmed in the assault.
On March 20, 1995, at the height of the morning rush hour in Tokyo, Japan, terrorist teams from the Aum Shinrikyo religious cult, riding on separate subway trains, converge at the Kasumigaseki station and secretly release lethal sarin gas into the air. The terrorists then took a sarin antidote and escaped while the commuters, blinded and gasping for air, rushed to the exits. Twelve people died, and 5,500 were treated in hospitals, some in a comatose state.
March 19, 2013 Associated Press
MINNEAPOLIS — Three alleged members of a violent American Indian gang known for terrorizing people in the Upper Midwest were convicted Tuesday in what authorities called one of the largest gang cases to come out of Indian Country.
An alleged leader of the Native Mob, 34-year-old Wakinyon Wakan McArthur, was found guilty on several charges including the most serious one he faced, racketeering conspiracy. But he was acquitted on an attempted murder charge that stemmed from the shooting of another man that prosecutors said McArthur ordered.
Two alleged gang "soldiers" — Anthony Francis Cree, 26, and William Earl Morris, 25 — were both convicted of attempted murder in aid of racketeering, in addition to other charges. Morris was the only defendant cleared of racketeering, a charge often used by prosecutors to target mobsters and organized crime.
A sentencing date has not yet been set, but all three men face a maximum of between 20 years and life in prison, according to the U.S. attorney's office. The men were the only defendants who didn't accept plea deals after 25 people were originally charged in a 57-count indictment.
With the purpose of writing about true crime in an authoritative, fact-based manner, veteran journalists J. J. Maloney and J. Patrick O’Connor launched Crime Magazine in November of 1998.
Their goal was to cover all aspects of true crime: from organized crime to serial killers, from capital punishment to prisons, from historical crimes to celebrity crime, from assassinations to government corruption, from justice issues to innocent cases, from crime films to books about crime. Read More